Rohloff’s SPEEDHUB 500/14 has spent 20 years setting the standard for durability, longevity, and lack of maintenance in a wide-range drivetrain. This 14-speed internal gear hub offers a gear range that’s wider than the most popular mountain bike derailleur systems, and it will run for hundreds of thousands of miles requiring nothing but an annual oil change.
This reputation for reliability and ease of use has made the Rohloff SPEEDHUB a natural choice for dedicated commuters and long-range touring riders. It’s more than capable of handling the torque of an e-bike or tandem, and pairs beautifully with a belt system like that from Gates Carbon Drive. Shifts can be made while stationary or while pedaling, and riders can shift through a handful of gears with one single movement on the standard twist shifter.
If you’re looking for the most reliable all-weather gearing system available, Rohloff SPEEDHUB is the obvious choice. Cycle Monkey is a long-term Rohloff service partner, we’ve been fortunate to gain intimate knowledge of the product and related accessories over the years. Our expertise and full stock of replacement parts is unparalleled in the industry. Cycle Monkey is your home for all things Rohloff.
- 526% gear range provides plenty of gears to get up, over, around, and down all kinds of terrain
- Requires very little maintenance and offers unmatched reliability
- The dual cable system means one cable is always pulling the hub into its next gear, so there is no dependence on a spring for making a shift in either direction.
- Indexing occurs in the hub, so there is no cable adjustment required between the hub and shifter, and no tuning of the shifting system is needed.
- Gears can be changed at any time, whether you're pedaling or not. This offers numerous advantages—from tackling technical singletrack more easily and keeping a more constant cadence, to being able to easily select a lower gear to start from a standstill on the road or trail.
- You always have a perfect chainline between the front chainring and rear sprocket, and the chain doesn't need to move laterally as it does in derailleur systems. This results in noticeably longer chain life and virtually eliminates broken chains.
- The SPEEDHUB 500/14 has comparable efficiency to a perfectly clean derailleur system and bests derailleurs when things get muddy and gritty.
- The SPEEDHUB 500/14 reduces the complexity of recumbent drivetrains.
- On recumbents, folding bikes, and other small wheeled bikes on which the rear derailleur is often only only an inch or two above the ground, the SPEEDHUB 500/14 improves ground clearance and reduces the chances of costly damage.
- The SPEEDHUB 500/14 prolongs battery life and increases the range of e-bikes.