Cycle Monkey is the sole North American Service Partner for the Rohloff SPEEDHUB 500/14. If you take your SPEEDHUB 500/14 to your local shop for service, they will most likely send it to us—our expertise and full stock of replacement parts and accessories is unmatched! The Rohloff SPEEDHUB 500/14 is a 14-speed internal gear hub offering a 526% gear ratio, comparable to that of a typical mountain bike derailleur system.
For most applications, a single front chainring is sufficient to provide all the gear ratios that a rider desires. Shifting is accomplished by rotating a twist shifter mounted on the handlebar. Like other internal gear hubs, gear ratio changes occur inside the hub. The chain does not have to move between sprockets, improving shifting reliability and allowing shifts to be made without pedaling.
- 526% gear range provides plenty of gears to get up, over, around, and down all kinds of terrain
- Requires very little maintenance and offers unmatched reliability
- The dual cable system means one cable is always pulling the hub into its next gear, so there is no dependence on a spring for making a shift in either direction.
- Indexing occurs in the hub, so there is no cable adjustment required between the hub and shifter, and no tuning of the shifting system is needed.
- Gears can be changed at any time, whether you're pedaling or not. This offers numerous advantages—from tackling technical singletrack more easily and keeping a more constant cadence, to being able to easily select a lower gear to start from a standstill on the road or trail.
- You always have a perfect chainline between the front chainring and rear sprocket, and the chain doesn't need to move laterally as it does in derailleur systems. This results in noticeably longer chain life and virtually eliminates broken chains.
- The SPEEDHUB 500/14 has comparable efficiency to a perfectly clean derailleur system and bests derailleurs when things get muddy and gritty.
- The SPEEDHUB 500/14 reduces the complexity of recumbent drivetrains.
- On recumbents, folding bikes, and other small wheeled bikes on which the rear derailleur is often only only an inch or two above the ground, the SPEEDHUB 500/14 improves ground clearance and reduces the chances of costly damage.
- The SPEEDHUB 500/14 prolongs battery life and increases the range of e-bikes.