This bike was built for a customer in San Francisco, CA, who had a very specific idea of what he wanted in a commuter bike. He was looking for a clean, minimalist aesthetic and the zippy, responsive ride he was used to on his road bike in a fixed gear package. He also wanted to have more than one gear to handle the hills in San Francisco without getting off the bike and flipping the back wheel around to a different sprocket size. Disc brakes were a requirement for stopping on the way back down those same hills, as was a Gates Carbon Drive belt system for no drivetrain maintenance.
In order to meet this customer's requests, we asked Co-Motion to modify the drive side dropout so a belt could be installed in the rear triangle and to build the frame with an eccentric bottom bracket so the belt could be properly tensioned.
With the addition of the Gates Carbon Drive belt, which has a usable lifespan at least twice as long as a conventional chain (and typically much longer) and does not require lubrication, this is one of the most low maintenance and dependable drivetrains available. This set-up is perfect for a hassle-free commute every day of the week. Whether you are heading to work or across town , you can get on and get going without worrying about your drivetrain.
This customer came to use looking for a very specific commuter that turned out to be one of the more unique builds we've done in a while - which is unusual given the specialty nature of the bikes were usually build. We worked with Co-Motion to customize the frame and built up the bike to meet the customer's vision for an ultimate commuter. If you have a new bike vision that you are ready to bring to life, get in touch, and we'll help make it a reality.
• Frame: Co-Motion Camino
• Fork: Co-Motion Camino
• Headset: HCane Creek 40
• Stem: Ritchey Components 4-Axis
• Handlebar: Profile Design Airwig OS TT Base Bar
• Bar Tape: Lizard Skins DSP
• Seatpost: Ritchey Components Link
• Saddle: Brooks Cambium C17
• Front Hub: Paul Components Front Disc
• Rear Hub: Paul Components Rear Disc
• Spokes: Sapim Race
• Nipples: Sapim Brass
• Rims: Velocity Aileron, reflective finish
• Tires: Schwalbe Durano Plus / Durano DD
• Cranks: Schlumpf Speed Drive
• Bottom Bracket: Co-Motion Eccentric BB
• Front Sprocket: Gates Carbon Drive
• Rear Sprocket: Gates Carbon Drive
• Belt: Gates Carbon Drive Belt
• Brakes: TRP HY/RD
• Levers: Paul Components Cross Levers
• Rotors: Magura